In 1951, the Department of Highways was recognized and placed under the direction of a Board. In 1974, the Department of Highways became the Idaho Transportation Department.
Earle V. Miller, who was then the State Highway Engineer, established the Engineer-In-Training (EIT) program in 1952. Mr. Miller's foresight has provided ITD with a program that supplies the Department with a pool of Engineers capable of meeting its technical and managerial needs. The administration of the EIT program remains the responsibility of the Chief Engineer.
ITD has six administrative districts that are each directed by a District Engineer. These Administrative Districts perform activities required for planning, design, construction, maintenance, and operation of the state highway system.