Idaho Transportation Department
About Us Travel Services DMV Get Involved News and Information
Printer-Friendly Version
ITD Home News and Info Contact Us

DMV HomeOn-Line ServicesNew to Idaho?Driver ServicesVehicle ServicesMotor Carrier Services / Ports of EntryDriver Licensing OfficesVehicle Licensing OfficesCounty WebsitesOther State DMV LinksInformation for Idaho Military PersonnelManualsLinksRecent LegislationIdaho Motor Vehicle LawsAdmin. RulesVoter RegistrationDMV Historytrucking.idaho.govContact Us

International Driving Privileges

The United States signed an agreement with many other countries to honor a foreign driver license for visitors to the United States for up to one year from the date of arrival. This privilege is made possible as a result of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (Geneva, 1949), and the Convention on the Regulation of American Automotive Traffic (Washington, 1943), both of which have been ratified by the United States.

Foreign Drivers in Idaho
Visitors from foreign countries may drive non-commercially in Idaho using a foreign-issued driver license. Visitors must carry the foreign driver license and, in addition, it is suggested that visitors carry an International Driving Permit issued by officials in their country of residence. It is not mandatory that visitors have the International Driving Permit; it is merely a suggestion to aid law enforcement officials and others who need to know the actual content of the license. The International Driving Permit is a translation of the foreign license into the nine official languages of the United Nations, including English.
Since an International Driving Permit is not a driver license, merely a translation of the foreign driver license, it does not authorize any driving privileges. You may not drive in Idaho carrying just an International Driving Permit.

Idaho Drivers in Foreign Countries
Idaho driver license holders who intend to visit a foreign country can obtain an International Driving Permit from the American Automobile Association (AAA) before leaving the country. Some foreign countries require an International Driving Permit.
Page Last Modified: 4/30/2007 2:15:19 PM

Division of Motor Vehicles / Driver Services Section
(208) 334-8736

About Us | Traveler Services | DMV | Projects | News And Info | Reader-Friendly | Privacy & Security
Idaho Transportation Department
3311 W. State Street ยท P.O. Box 7129
Boise, ID 83707-1129