Idaho Transportation Department
About Us Travel Services DMV Get Involved News and Information
Printer-Friendly Version
ITD Home News and Info Contact Us

DMV HomeOn-Line ServicesNew to Idaho?Driver ServicesVehicle ServicesMotor Carrier Services / Ports of EntryDriver Licensing OfficesVehicle Licensing OfficesCounty WebsitesOther State DMV LinksInformation for Idaho Military PersonnelManualsLinksRecent LegislationIdaho Motor Vehicle LawsAdmin. RulesVoter RegistrationDMV Historytrucking.idaho.govContact Us


Motor Vehicle Information for New Residents

What vehicles must be registered and titled in Idaho?
Generally, any vehicle operated on public highways must be registered and titled.  Also, boats with a permanently attached mode of propulsion (e.g., inboards, inboard/outboards, sailboats, personal watercraft) of 2000 model year or newer that were purchased since January 1, 2000, must be titled. Model year 1999 and older boats with a permanently attached mode of propulsion may be optionally titled, provided they are not exempt from titling.  Any motorized boat used on Idaho's waterways must be registered.

When must I register and title my vehicle?
You must register and title your vehicle when you become a resident of Idaho.  You become a resident of Idaho when your domicile (principle home) has been in Idaho for 90 continuous days.  However, you may declare residency at any time earlier than that, and register and title your vehicles at that time.

Where do I go to register and title my vehicle?
You may go to any county assessor motor vehicle office.  Check the county office listings in your local telephone directory for the Motor Vehicle or Auto Licensing office nearest to you, or find a convenient office location on the following list.

What should I do before going to the motor vehicle office to title and register my vehicle?
You must have your vehicle insured with an insurance company licensed to do business in Idaho, and have the following minimum coverage:

  • $25,000 for injury or death of one person in any one accident.
  • $50,000 for injury or death of two or more persons in any one accident.
  • $15,000 for damage or destruction of property of others in any one accident

What should I bring when applying for my vehicle registration and title?
You should bring the following:


The vehicle being titled and registered. You will need to have the vehicle identification number (VIN) inspected. This inspection can generally be performed by a deputy of either the county assessor motor vehicle office or the county sheriff's office.


Current title and registration.  If the vehicle has not been titled in your name, be sure the title has been signed over to you by the seller, and that you have a bill of sale from the seller.  If the title is being held by a lienholder, bring the lienholder's name and address.  If your title has been lost, you will need to apply for a duplicate title from the state of issuance.


Your personal identification.


Cash or a check for payment of any applicable taxes and fees

For additional information regarding vehicle licensing and titling, contact your local county assessor's motor vehicle office, or go to the Vehicle Services Web Page.

What do I need to do to get an Idaho driver's license?
For information regarding Idaho driver licenses, obtain a copy of the Idaho Driver's Handbook, from your county sheriff's driver license office.  To find the driver's license office in your county, check under the county sheriff listings in your local telephone directory, or check the Sheriff's Office list at  The Driver's Handbook is also available online.

Page Last Modified: 12/24/2009 11:46:06 AM

Division of Motor Vehicles / Vehicle Services Section
Vehicle Titles: (208) 334-8663Vehicle Registrations (Special Plates): (208) 334-8649Dealer Licensing: (208) 334-8681

About Us | Traveler Services | DMV | Projects | News And Info | Reader-Friendly | Privacy & Security
Idaho Transportation Department
3311 W. State Street ยท P.O. Box 7129
Boise, ID 83707-1129