- Project Description:
This project will develop an acceptable definition for rural congestion, and data collection methods for identifying rural congestion.
ITD will use the results of this project to implement the data collection plan,
which will assist with planning and programming improvements to rural highway segments statewide, addressing safety and mobility issues.
- The objectives of this project are:
- Conduct literature search.
- Interview ITD representatives and staff from neighboring state DOTs.
- Define and quantify congestion on rural roads, including subcategories related to terrain,
locality, roadway standards, and the percentage of heavy vehicles.
- Develop a data collection plan to support the identification of rural congestion which will include the frequency of the data collection.