- Project Description:
This study will compare the accuracy of non-nuclear devices and the reproducibility of nuclear and non-nuclear devices
when used to determine the in-place density of unbound materials and HMA in Idaho. The research will focus on designing and implementing
field testing and statistical analysis to evaluate non-nuclear gauges across the materials commonly used in Idaho.
- The objectives of this project are:
- Evaluate commercially available non-nuclear density gauge products in terms of their capabilities/features, performance,
and cost for use on bound and unbound materials, based on a literature review and lab/field tests.
- Compare the performance of non-nuclear gauges to ITD’s existing nuclear gauges when calibrated to known values,
based on lab and field tests and statistical analysis.
- Provide recommendations to ITD regarding the replacement of its current inventory of nuclear density gauges.
- Estimated Completion Date: November 25, 2013
- Budget: $125,704.00
- Project Managers: Clint Hoops (208) 334-4415
- Principal Investigator:
Dr. Haifang Wen, Washington State University, (509) 335-2513
Dr. Sunil Sharma, University of Idaho, (208) 885-6403
- Monthly Report (links are active when information becomes available)