- Project Description:
This project will maintain and fine tune infrasound instrument arrays over 2012/2013 and 2013/2014 winter season.
User-friendly software will be developed for processing and interpreting avalanche signals by ITD forecasters.
- The objectives of this project are:
- To alert ITD forecasters when smaller avalanches are occurring that do not block the road, which indicates regional avalanche activity and instability.
- To monitor avalanches at night when traffic volume is low and emergency response is limited.
- To provide an emergency alert in the unlikely event that the road is open when avalanches occur, as the highway could be closed immediately following any avalanche events.
- To improve information about timing of avalanche events when the road is already closed, aiding in future forecasts and in turn providing avalanche information for when the road is safe to open.
- To provide an expandable avalanche detection system that can be deployed in other areas around Idaho.