Franklin to Franklin
The Idaho Transportation Department is repaving Interstate 84 from the Franklin Boulevard Interchange in Nampa to the Franklin Road Interchange in Caldwell.
A unique weekend crossover approach will lessen the impact of this project on commuters who use I-84 on a daily basis. The first three weekend crossovers were completed on June 2-5, June 16-19 and June 23-26. The final weekend is scheduled for July 7-10, weather permitting. During the crossover, all I-84 traffic will shift to one side of the interstate with one lane of traffic open in each direction.
What to expect during construction
• Weekend directional crossovers will be from 7 p.m. Friday evening to 5 a.m. Monday.
• Interchange access will be limited between exits 29 and 36 and the speed limit will be reduced.
• The weekends are scheduled for June 2-5 (COMPLETE), June 9-12 (canceled due to weather), June 16-19 (COMPLETE), June 23-26 (COMPLETE) and July 7-10.
• Occasional nighttime lane restrictions may be scheduled from Monday to Thursday.
• Sign up for email updates about construction activities and scheduling.
• Many Canyon County road construction projects will be occurring at the same time this summer. ITD asks you to plan extra time when traveling.
TEXT “Interstate84” to 22828 | CALL (208) 334-8938 | EMAIL Jennifer.Gonzalez@itd.idaho.gov
Harsh winter conditions in 2017 accelerated the need to resurface I-84 between Nampa and Caldwell. Because of swift responsiveness and knowledgeable staff, ITD worked with partners to accelerate two planned resurfacing projects (planned for 2018 and 2019) to 2017. This project will prolong the pavement life.
I-84 Expansion is NOT a part of this Repaving Project
The Idaho Transportation Board has approved funding to add lanes on I-84 between Franklin Boulevard and Karcher Road in Nampa. ITD staff have completed initial planning and the environmental assessment. Design work is expected to begin this year. At this time, it is too early to know when construction will begin.
Many road construction projects will be occuring at the same time in Canyon County this summer. ITD asks you to plan extra time when traveling.
- Work slated to occur over four summer weekends & other overnight times.
- Pavement rehabilitation of seven miles of I-84 in Canyon County.
- Construction budget is $14 million.
I-84: Exit 33B, Karcher Interchange Improvements, Nampa
- Construction timeline not yet available.
- Safety & mobility improvements of this interchange including ramp modifications & widening.
- Construction budget is $2.5 million.
Nampa Caldwell Boulevard/Karcher Intersection Improvements, Nampa
- Work is scheduled to be completed this spring.
- Complete striping & other final tasks as part of the safety improvement project.
- Contract amount is $1.2 million. Contractor: Knife River
- U.S. 20/26 will be reduced to a single lane at night. ITD will use signals or flaggers to direct traffic.
- For construction details, please go to the US 20-26 web page
- Pavement rehabilitation from I-84/20/26 junction to Locust Grove.
- Construction anticipated completion Summer 2017.
- Construction will begin in spring & be complete in early fall.
- Primarily night work with some weekend work. Lane closures, flaggers & pilot car will be in place during work in fix construction zones along the corridor.
- Pavement rehabilitation work that extends from Caldwell, through Middleton & Star.
- Contract amount is $5.2 million. Contractor: Idaho Materials Construction
ID-55: (Karcher Road) Intersection Improvements & Pavement Rehabilitation
- Work will begin this summer & be complete in early 2018.
- Reduced speeds & lane reductions, flagging & lane closures during construction.
- Signal installation at ID-55 & Lake Avenue, Midway, & Farmway. Pavement rehabilitation from Middleton Road to Pride Lane.
- Construction budget is $8.8 million.
I-84 Business Loop, Nampa
- Construction to begin later this year (timeline not yet available)
- Pavement rehabilitation & upgrades to ADA ramps from Northside to Grant Ave.
- Construction budget is $3.8 million.
ID-45: Deer Flat to I-84 Business Loop, Nampa
- Construction schedule still being determined.
- Pavement Rehabilitation
- Construction budget is $1.3 million.
I-84: Sand Hollow Exit Reconstruction, west of Nampa
- Construction to begin late summer – Completion is planned for 2018.
- Bridge replacement
- Construction budget is $10.5 million.
I-84: Pavement Rehabilitation from Five Mile Road to Orchard Interchange, Boise
- Construction expected to begin late spring and be complete in fall.
- Night work only
- Construction budget is $3 million.
Bridges: I-84, Connector, US-20/26, ID-55|21|16
- Construction will begin this summer and be complete this fall.
- All night work with lane closures and flagging when necessary. More details on construction impacts to follow.
$2.5 million Construction Budget for Bridge Rehabilitation on multiple structures:
- I-184: (Connector) Emerald Overpass
- I-84: Meridian Interchange Overpass, Cole Overland Overpass, Broadway Overpass, Highland RVRR Underpass, Gowen UPRR Underpass, Gowen Underpass
- ID-21: Mores Creek, Wildlife Underpass, Grimes Creek, Wildcat Gulch, Stierman Gulch, South Fork Payette, Canyon Creek
- US-20/26: (Broadway Ave) Boise River Bridge
$2.3 million Construction Budget for Bridge Rehabilitation on multiple structures:
- I-84: Flyover Bridge, Maple Grove Overpass
- ID-55: (Eagle Road) Three bridges
- ID-16: Two bridges
I-84 Business Route, Exit 90 to McMurtrey Rd, Elmore County
- Construction is expected to start in May & completed in August.
- Highway will be reduced to one lane during much of the construction period.
- Pavement rehabilitation project that includes Exit 90 on & off ramps, & approximately one mile of I-84 Business Route going into Mountain Home.
- Project is expected to be advertised in March. Construction budget is approximately $2.5 million.
I-84 Pavement Rehabilitation, Elmore Co.
- Work will begin in late summer & be complete in the fall.
- Crossover pattern with two-lane, two way traffic configuration will be in place during construction. Reduced speed in work zone.
- Mileposts 82 to 90, near Mountain Home
- Construction budget is $4.2 million.