Permanent trailer registrations and plates are available to both Idaho-based and non-Idaho-based trailers.
Idaho based registrants:
Non-Idaho based registrants:
- The trailer must belong to an Idaho resident or business.
- The trailer must be titled in Idaho before plates and credentials can be issued.
- A 45 day temporary registration may be issued if a valid bill-of-sale is presented along with payment of all registration fees. Credentials will be issued when an application for title has been issued.
- May purchase the North America Permanent Trailer Plate and will not be required to title the trailer(s) in Idaho.
- Proof of valid title in the registrants name from the base jurisdiction must be provided in the form of a copy of the title or official record of the title at the time of application.
- Trailers not titled in Idaho are subject to periodic verification of ownership in order to maintain trailer registration active status.
- $99 registration fee
- $4 administrative fee
- $3 license plate fee
- Optional $18 Temporary Vehicle Clearance fee (TVC)
Permanent trailer registrations purchased on or after July 1, 2009 are not transferable from one trailer to another. Permanent trailer registrations that were purchased prior to July 1, 2009 will continue to be transferable from one trailer to another for the same owner, within the same ITD account.
Business Logo Plate Option
A “business logo” plate is available as well, however in addition to the regular permanent trailer registration fees there will be “up front” programming costs that will have to be paid by the business for which the logo plate is produced. These plates will require design and production time for each business applicant and will be manufactured after the request is made and approved by the department.
Need More Information?
To obtain more information about the North America Permanent Trailer Plate program, or to
apply for a regular permanent or business logo plate, contact Commercial
Vehicle Services – Motor Carrier:
Application form for North American Permanent Trailer Plates