What Does NEPA Require of Agencies?
· Directs federal agencies to use a systematic, interdisciplinary approach while evaluating environmental factors during the planning process of a federal action
· Involves widespread coordination, review, and disclosure with other agencies and the public
· Documents the environmental analysis process in plain language for the decision-maker and the public.
What are the three types of NEPA documents?
· Categorical Exclusion (Cat Ex)
· Minimal anticipated impacts
· A simple/programmatic processes anticipated
· Environmental Assessment (EA)
· Unsure if significant impacts
· Evaluation of key resources
· Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
· Significant Impacts
· More detailed evaluation