Idaho Transportation Department
About Us Travel Services DMV Get Involved News and Information
Printer-Friendly Version
ITD Home News and Info Contact Us

DMV HomeOn-Line ServicesNew to Idaho?Driver ServicesVehicle ServicesMotor Carrier Services / Ports of EntryDriver Licensing OfficesVehicle Licensing OfficesCounty WebsitesOther State DMV LinksInformation for Idaho Military PersonnelManualsLinksRecent LegislationIdaho Motor Vehicle LawsAdmin. RulesVoter RegistrationDMV Historytrucking.idaho.govContact Us

If you are a member of the U.S. Military preparing for deployment overseas or out of state, check the expiration date printed on your Idaho Driver's License (see example in red circle below) to make sure it will not expire while you are deployed. 

Sample DL Licenses

If your license will expire in less than 25 months and you are nearing a deployment date, we encourage you to visit your local county sheriff's office and renew your driver's license. You can renew your license up to 25 months in advance of its expiration date.

If the expiration date printed on your license is more than 25 months away, and you anticipate being on active duty or out of state when your license expires, you can download an extension of Idaho drivers license application form and submit the extension form to the Idaho DMV within six months—preferably no later than two months—prior to your license's expiration date. As an active member of the military, you can extend your Idaho driver's license for four years.

If at any point you apply for an Idaho CDL, you will be required to take all applicable CDL knowledge and skills tests. You will also be required to surrender any out of state driver's license and/or ID card, provide proof of Idaho residency, and pass the vision screening. Your driving record must be clear in all states.

The Idaho Transportation Department provides an exemption from the requirement to take a skills test with a CDL Examiner for persons with experience operating heavy duty trucks while in military service. This exemption is for the skills test portion of CDL licensure only; the Military member must still take and pass written (knowledge) tests before the CDL will be issued. The applicant must possess a valid Idaho Driver’s License at the time of application, and heavy vehicle driving experience must be current (within two years of date of application). Application for this waiver must be made to ITD within 90 days of separation from Military Service. Interested persons should contact the CDL Specialist at (208) 334-8294 for application instructions.

If you have any questions, contact Driver Services at (208) 334-8736 or via e-mail at

You should also check the expiration date(s) of your motor vehicle(s) and/or motorcycle(s) to make sure they do not expire while you are deployed. Passenger car and motorcycle registrations can typically be renewed up to 12 months early. Expiring registrations for passenger cars or motorcycles can be renewed for a one- or two-year period. There are no provisions in Idaho statute allowing the extension of vehicle registrations for military personnel.

You can renew Idaho vehicle registrations from overseas or out of state by submitting the appropriate registration fee to your home county assessor’s office (click here for a list of assessor addresses and phone numbers).

You can also renew vehicle registrations on-line if your home county participates in the internet registration renewal process and the owners listed for the vehicle have Idaho issued driver licenses or Idaho issued identification cards. Click here for more information on renewing your vehicle registrations on-line.

If you have any vehicle-related questions, please contact Vehicle Services, Registration Section at 208-334-8649 or via e-mail at:

VETERAN'S SAFE DRIVING INITIATIVE (Home safe. Drive safe. Stay safe.)
Information from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs on the "Veteran's Safe Driving Initiative" can be found at:
Page Last Modified: 7/13/2015 8:31:50 AM

Division of Motor Vehicles
[M-F 8:00 am-5:00 pm Mountain Time]
Administration: (208) 334-4443
Driver Services: (208) 334-8736
Motor Carrier: (208) 334-8611
Overlegal Permits: (208) 334-8420
Port of Entry: (208) 334-8688
Vehicle Registrations (Special Plates): (208) 334-8649
Vehicle Titles: (208) 334-8663
Vehicle/Vessel Dealer Licensing: (208) 334-8681
TTY/TDD Users: Dial 711 or (800) 377-3529 to use Idaho Relay System

About Us | Traveler Services | DMV | Projects | News And Info | Reader-Friendly | Privacy & Security
Idaho Transportation Department
3311 W. State Street · P.O. Box 7129
Boise, ID 83707-1129