Your Safety. Your Mobility. Your Economic Opportunity.

What documents do I need to obtain a driver's license or ID card with the Star?

Watch video if you've been married, divorced or changed your name.

Watch if you've been married, divorced or changed your name.

Watch video if you've been married, divorced or changed your name.

Watch if you've been married, divorced or changed your name.

Star Spacer image Star Spacer image


Acceptable Documents

To establish Identity, the applicant must provide one of the following source documents (must not be laminated)::

  • Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport
  • Certified birth certificate issued by a state of the United States.
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545.
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551).
  • Unexpired employment authorization document (EAD), Form I-766 or Form I-688B.
  • Unexpired foreign passport with a valid, unexpired U.S. visa affixed accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant's most recent admittance into the United States. (Must be accompanied by unexpired EAD card or other acceptable documents)
  • Certificate of Naturalization, Form N-550 or Form N-570.
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or Form N-561.

Note: If you chose a document that does not contain your photo (such as a birth certificate), an additional acceptable photo identity document will be required.

Applicants who have established names through marriage, adoption, court order, or other mechanisms, are required to provide evidence of the name change through appropriate court or government documents (must not be laminated).

Applicants must provide your social security number at issuance for electronic verification. If you do not know your number and have never been issued in Idaho please contact the Social Security Administration. If you do not have a social security number:

  • For temporary foreign nationals not authorized for employment – the Idaho Transportation Department will verify your USCIS number.
  • For temporary foreign nationals authorized for employment who do not have a SSN – you will be required to obtain and present one.

Applicants must provide two documents from different sources.. Documents must display the applicant’s name and principal Idaho residence address. Acceptable documents (must not be laminated) include:

  • Lease/rental agreement, mortgage or deed
  • Account statement from one or two different public utilities. Must show service address of residency and customer's name; 3⁄4 statement page accepted. Cell phone bills are not accepted.
  • Account statement from bank or financial institution
  • Tax document Form W-2 or Form-1099 (may be the same document used in Step 3 above if dated within current year)
  • Medical or insurance provider statement, invoice, or explanation of benefits
  • Pay stub or employment verification (must list the customer's legal name)
  • Idaho school enrollment records with current address or VOC for current school year and current address (college ID not accepted)
  • Motel, hotel, campground or RV park receipt on letterhead that indicates 30 days or more of residency
  • Military Leave and Earning Statement (LES) to evidence Idaho residency of applicant deployed outside of Idaho while on active duty
  • Relief agency or shelter certification
  • Residency affidavit (must be signed by adult over 18)
  • Court documents (original or non-altered, and must have current address on the document for proof of Idaho residency)
  • Record of property taxes assessed or paid (receipt date within one year)
  • A vehicle, homeowner’s, or renter’s liability card, binder, or bill issued by an Idaho-based carrier (must be valid and unexpired, must have current residential address, and can be original paper, print, or photocopy of e-document)

Additional information about appropriate documents

Yes, a U.S. passport will be accepted as proof of your identity and date of birth.

Please note: you will still be required to provide documents to verify:

  • Social Security number and Idaho residency

If your name is different from what is on your birth certificate, you will need to bring a certified name-change document, such as your marriage license, divorce decree or court order (must not be laminated). Multiple documents may be needed if your name has changed more than once. The name on your proof of Idaho residency must also match your proof of identity documents.

Unfortunately, no. Due to compliance regulations, an out-of-state license (even one marked REAL ID compliant) cannot be used to verify your identity on its own. The good news is that it can be used as an acceptable photo identity document (see Acceptable Documents). You will still be required to provide documents that verify:

  • Identity
  • Social Security number
  • Idaho residency

Please bring your out-of-state license, Idaho driver's license, or ID card to the driver's license issuance site when you appear for issuance. Your old license can be used as a backup to your temporary paper license or ID card if you need to fly commercially before your new ID or license arrives in the mail.

Additionally, an out-of-state license may help avoid the driving test when applying for a new Idaho driver's license of the same class and endorsements.

Federal regulations require this identity verification in order to obtain the Star Card.

If your name is different than the one shown on your birth certificate or another document used to establish identity. Please complete an affidavit of name change and provide one or more of the following certified documents as acceptable proof of a legal name change:

  • Certified marriage certificate(s) meeting Idaho standards
  • Certified divorce document(s) meeting Idaho standards
  • Adoption record
  • Court name-change document(s) meeting Idaho standards

If you have been married multiple times, please provide the documents for each marriage and divorce if your current name is different than the name on your birth certificate. Please note: these documents must be certified.

We are here to help you. Please use the Idaho Transportation Department's Add the Star Tool to help you. Simply answer a few questions and the system will create a customized list of documents for you to bring with you.

Visit a federal Social Security Administration office to obtain a card. More information is available on the SSA’s website:

If you were born in Idaho, contact the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare. Information on how to obtain certified copies is available at

If you were born outside of Idaho, use the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics website at to find out where you can obtain your vital records from other states.

As long as copies of the original documents are on file with the DMV, you are all set. The Star will remain on your card every time you renew. Please note: a person that is a foreign national with temporary lawful status may have to establish lawful status with each renewal.

Your card will read “limited term” and be valid for the period of your lawful stay in the United States.

Verification is a guard against document and identity fraud. It means the Idaho Transportation Department must check with the agency or authority that issued the document to make sure it is valid.

Idaho uses Social Security Online Verification (SSOLV) to verify Social Security information and Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) to verify immigration documents and status. Systems to verify birth record information and state driver's license information are expected to become available in the future.