ADA, TAP, and Research Programs
ADA Curb Ramp Program
The Idaho Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Curb Ramp Program is a state-administered program that provides funding for projects to address curb ramps on the state highway system. The goal of the program is to provide accessible facilities for pedestrians with disabilities while allowing local jurisdiction flexibility in meeting the required standards. The Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) is allocating $500,000 of state funds annually for this program. Applicants can qualify for up to $60,000 in state funding to construct new or alter existing curb ramps on the state highway system to meet the requirements of the ADA. Funds can only be used for construction purposes, design is provided without compensation by following the below link to Standard Drawings. This program offers local communities more control over the design of pedestrian facilities in their communities, the time of construction and makes better economical use of state funds while addressing accessibility on the state highway system.
Program Manager: Margaret Havey, AICP
Email: Margaret.Havey@itd.idaho.gov | Phone: 208-334-8469
Idaho Transportation Department | Division of Highways Development, Planning Services
3311 West State Street | Boise, ID 83703
- District 1 (Boundary, Bonner, Kootenai, Benewah and Shoshone counties): Marvin Fenn P.E. | P 208-772-1208 | and | William (Bill) Robertson | P 208-772-8019 | 600 W. Prairie, Coeur d’Alene, 83815 | Marvin.Fenn@itd.idaho.gov | William.Roberson@itd.idaho.gov
- District 2 (Latah, Nez Perce, Clearwater, Lewis, and Idaho counties): Ken Helm | P 208-799-4223 | PO Box 837, Lewiston, ID 83501 | Ken.Helm@itd.idaho.gov
- District 3 (Adams, Valley, Washington, Payette, Gem, Boise, Canyon, Ada, Elmore, and Owyhee counties): Blaine Schwendiman | P 208-334-8925 | 8150 Chinden Blvd, PO Box 8028, Boise, ID 83707 | Blaine.Schwendiman@itd.idaho.gov
- District 4 (Camas, Blaine, Gooding, Lincoln, Jerome, Minidoka, Twin Falls, and Cassia counties): Trey Mink | P 208-886-7848 | 216 S. Date St, Shoshone, 83352 | Trey.Mink@itd.idaho.gov
- District 5 (Bingham, Caribou, Power, Bannock, Oneida, Franklin, and Bear Lake counties): Melodie Halstead | P 208-239-3370 | 515 S. 5th St, PO Box 4700, Pocatello, 83205 | Melodie.Halstead@itd.idaho.gov
- District 6 (Lemhi, Custer, Butte, Jefferson, Clark, Fremont, Madison, Teton, and Bonneville counties): Mark Layton P 208-745-5626 | 206 N. Yellowstone Highway, PO Box 97, Rigby, 83442 | Mark.Layton@itd.idaho.gov
ITD’s Research Program supports research, development, and technology transfer activities addressing the Department’s strategic goals and initiatives.
The Research Program is located in the Contracting Services section within ITD’s Division of Engineering Services, but supports research to meet department-wide needs.
Notice to Researchers: Current Research Project Requests for Proposal (RFPs)
The Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) Research Program has issued RFPs for the following new research projects:
|Project Title & Details Link||Open Date||Close Date||Clarifying Questions Deadline|
|Idaho Alive at 25 Young Driver Education Program Effectiveness Evaluation||September 7, 2023||October 16, 2023||September 21, 2023
|Guidance on Evaluating Quality and Determining Return on Investment for Internal and Third-Party Data||September 7, 2023||October 16, 2023||September 21, 2023|
Researchers who are interested in being considered for more than one research project must submit a separate proposal for each project.
- Proposals are due by 5:00 p.m. MDT on the closing dates listed above.
Clarifying Questions and Other Inquiries
Questions regarding the RFPs must be submitted by the date specified in the righthand column in the table above. Responses to questions received will be posted on the Research Program website within 10 business days of the deadline for submitting questions.
- FAQ document for answers to general RFP questions.
Project proposals and questions about the RFPs must be submitted via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’d like to be added to our mailing list and be notified when research opportunities are available, please send an email with your contact information to email@example.com.
Research Program Mission
- Support research, development, and technology transfer activities addressing the Department’s strategic goals and initiatives.
- Enhance ITD’s ability to deliver efficient and effective transportation services.
- Offer practical solutions to problems facing the Department.
- Develop new tools/technologies and facilitate their implementation.
- Coordinating development of ITD’s annual work program for federal State Planning & Research (SPR) funds and annual reporting of agency accomplishments with these funds.
- Administering SPR funds received for ITD research, development, and technology transfer.
- Coordinating Department involvement in multi-state pooled fund projects.
- Identifying ITD research needs and priorities.
- Helping staff locate transportation research and information.
- Overseeing ITD-funded research performed by universities and consultants.
- Coordinating ITD involvement in national and regional transportation research with TRB, AASHTO, the Northwest Transportation Consortium and others.
|Pooled Fund Number & Link||Project Title||ITD Contact|
|TPF-5(357)||Connecting the DOTs: Implementing ShakeCast Across Multiple State Departments of Transportation for Rapid Post-Earthquake Response||Jared Leving, 208-334-8538
|TPF-5(384)||Exploring Non-Traditional Methods to Obtain Vehicle Volume and Class Data||Margaret Pridmore, 208-334-8221
|TPF-5(385)||Pavement Structural Evaluation with Traffic Speed Deflection Devices (TSDDs)||John Arambarri, 208-334-8099
|TPF-5(388)||Developing Implementation Strategies for Risk Based Inspection (RBI)||Dan Gorley, 208-334-8407
|TPF-5(391)||Comprehensive Field Load Test and Geotechnical Investigation Program for Development of LRFD Recommendations of Driven Piles on Intermediate GeoMaterials||Anthony Beauchamp, 208-334-8554
|TPF-5(394)||Western Maintenance Partnership, Phase 3||Steve Spoor, 208-334-8413
|TPF-5(431)||Application of Enterprise GIS for Transportation, Guidance for a National Transportation Framework (AEGIST)||Margaret Pridmore, 208-334-8221
|TPF-5(437)||Technology Transfer Concrete Consortium (TTCC)||Dana Dietz, 208-334-8426
|TPF-5(439)||Technology Exchange on Managing Pavements||Mir Tamim, 208-334-8974
|TPF-5(441)||No Boundaries Transportation Maintenance Innovations||Steve Spoor, 208-334-8413
|TPF-5(442)||Transportation Research & Connectivity||Ned Parrish, 208-334-8296
|TPF-5(443)||Continuous Asphalt Mixture Compaction using Density Profiling System (DPS)||John Arambarri, 208-334-8099
|TPF-5(444)||Traffic Safety Culture – Phase 2||Lisa Losness, 208-334-8103
|TPF-5(447)||Traffic Control Device (TCD) Consortium – Phase 3||Ryan Lancaster, 208-334-8828
|TPF-5(448)||Integrating Construction Practices and Weather Into Freeze Thaw Specifications||Dana Dietz, 208-334-8426
|TPF-5(451)||Road Usage Charge West||Matthew Moore, 208-334-8484
|TPF-5(454)||Updating U.S. Precipitation Frequency Estimates for the Northwest||Carrie Ann Hewitt, 208-772-1230
|TPF-5(462)||Assessment and Repair of Prestressed Bridge Girders Subjected to Over-Height Truck Impacts (OHTI)||Shanon Murgoitio, 208-334-8547
|TPF-5(465)||Consortium for Asphalt Pavement Research and Implementation (CAPRI)||Mike Copeland, 208-334-8446
|TPF-5(467)||Research Project Tracking System||Amanda Laib, 208-334-8181
|TPF-5(476)||Western Alliance for Quality Transportation Construction (WAQTC) 2021-2025||Chad Clawson, 208-334-8453
|TPF-5(478)||Demonstration to Advance New Pavement Technologies Pooled Fund||John Arambarri, 208-334-8099
|TPF-5(479)||Clear Roads Winter Highway Operations Pooled Fund, Phase III||Steve Spoor, 208-34-8413
|TPF-5(486)||Center for the Aging Infrastructure: Steel Bridge Research, Inspection, Training and Education Engineering Center - SBRITE||Dan Gorley, 208-334-8407
|TPF-5(495)||2023 Technology Exchange on Low Volume Road Design, Construction and Maintenance||Drew Meppen, 208-745-5627
|TPF-5(498)||VKelly Slipform Paving Vibration Test||Dana Dietz, 208-334-8426
|TPF-5(499)||International Conference on Ecology & Transportation (ICOET) Pooled Fund||Wendy Terlizzi, 208-334-8629
|TPF-5(501)||Roadside Safety Pooled Fund – Phase 3||Marc Danley, 208-334-8024
|TPF-5(503)||Standardizing Rigid Inclusions for Transportation Projects – Phase I||Anthony Beauchamp, 208-334-8554
|TPF-5(506)||Northwest Passage Phase 5||Barton Phelps, 208-334-8593
|TPF-5(516)||Highway Safety Manual 2nd Edition (HSM2) Implementation||Kelly Campbell, 208-334-8105
|TPF-5(517)||Performance Centered Concrete Construction||Dana Dietz, 208-334-8426
|TPF-5(518)||Implementation of Structural Data from Traffic Speed Deflection Devices (TSDDs)||John Arambarri, 208-334-8099
|TPF-5(520)||Improving Traffic Detection Through New Innovative i-LST Technology Demonstration Pilot||Tony Grange, 208-334-8213
|TPF-5(521)||New Performance Approach to Evaluate ASR in Concrete||Dana Dietz, 208-334-8426
|TPF-5(522)||National Partnership to Improve the Quality of Preventive Maintenance Treatment Construction & Data Collection Practices (PG Phase III)||John Arambarri, 208-334-8099
ITD Research Program Contacts
Please send comments, questions, and suggestions to:
Research Program Manager: Ned Parrish | Ned.Parrish@itd.idaho.gov | Phone: 208-334-8296
Research Analyst, Sr: Amanda Laib | Amanda.Laib@itd.idaho.gov | Phone: 208-334-8181
Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP)
The purpose of the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP), formerly known as Community Choices for Idaho, is to provide for a variety of alternative transportation projects to address the needs of non-motorized users and to advance the Idaho Transportation Department’s (ITD) strategic goals of Mobility, Safety and Economic Opportunity while maximizing the use of federal funds. The program will provide a two-year application cycle to solicit locally identified projects and leverage potential federal funding opportunities for sponsored projects.
The Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) held its Project Recommendation Committee Meeting on March 20, 2020, to recommend its selected projects from around the state for federal TAP grant funds over the next three years.
Packet materials from meeting held on March 20, 2020
- 2020 TAP Recommendation Committee Agenda & WebEx webinar links
- 2020 TAP Call For Applications Outcome & Scheduling
- FY2020 TAP Infrastrucure Scheduling FY by Phase Code
- FY2020 TAP Infrastrucure Scoring
- FY2020 TAP SRTS Scoring & Scheduling
- 2020 TAP Applications – Summary Statistics
Idaho Safe Routes to School Education Program
VIDEOS | Idaho Safe Routes to School
- Bike Rodeo Video: Trailwind Elementary School, 3rd Grade | October 2019
- Bike Rodeo Video: Galileo Elementary School, 3rd Grade | October 2018
2019 Statistics | Idaho Safe Routes to School
- Kindergarten-8th grade students served: 118,000 – over 40% of Idaho students
- Student participation in hands-on “Bike Rodeo” trainings: 3,918 students
- Individual school participation: 223 schools
- Idaho independently-managed programs: 6
- Percent of Idaho School Districts: 8%
ITD Transportation Alternative Program Manager:
- Program Manager Margaret Havey, 208-334-8469 | Email: TAP@itd.idaho.gov
ITD District TAP Coordinators:
For project specific questions about TAP, please contact the appropriate district coordinator in your area from the list below.
- District 1 (Boundary, Bonner, Kootenai, Benewah and Shoshone counties): Bill Roberson, 208-772-8019 | William.Roberson@itd.idaho.gov, or Marvin Fenn, 208-772-1208 | Marvin.Fenn@itd.idaho.gov | 600 Prairie, Coeur d’Alene, ID 83815
- District 2 (Latah, Nez Perce, Clearwater, Lewis, and Idaho counties): Ken Helm, 208-799-4223 | Ken.Helm@itd.idaho.gov | 2600 N & S Highway, PO Box 837, Lewiston, ID 83501
- District 3 (Adams, Valley, Washington, Payette, Gem, Boise, Canyon, Ada, Elmore, and Owyhee counties): Aaron Bauges, 208-334-8964 | Aaron.Bauges@itd.idaho.gov | 8150 Chinden Blvd, PO Box 8028, Boise, ID 83707
- District 4 (Camas, Blaine, Gooding, Lincoln, Jerome, Minidoka, Twin Falls, and Cassia counties): Trey Mink, (208) 886‐7848 | Trey.Mink@itd.idaho.gov | 216 S. Date St, PO Box 2-A, Shoshone, ID 83352
- District 5 (Bingham, Caribou, Power, Bannock, Oneida, Franklin, and Bear Lake counties): Melodie Halstead, 208-239-3370 | Melodie.Halstead@itd.idaho.gov | 515 S. 5th St, PO Box 4700, Pocatello, ID 83205
- District 6 (Lemhi, Custer, Butte, Jefferson, Clark, Fremont, Madison, Teton, and Bonneville counties): Mark Layton, 208-745-5626 | Mark.Layton@itd.idaho.gov | 206 N. Yellowstone Highway, PO Box 97, Rigby, ID 83442
- State-wide (Off State Highway System): Amanda LaMott, 208-344-0565 | ALaMott@lhtac.org