The Idaho Transportation Department invites members of the public to comment on proposed safety improvements to US-95 at the intersections of Idaho Highway 53 and Garwood Road by attending an open house.
The open house will be held Wednesday, August 1 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the district office in Coeur d’Alene.
“US-95 is a primary north-south corridor through a rapidly developing area,” ITD project manager Joey Sprague said. “ITD has been planning for how to address growth and safety needs along this corridor for more than a decade, and we are excited that funding is now available to construct these improvements.”
The proposed project will:
- Construct a new single-point urban interchange at US-95 and ID-53.
- Realign and widen the shoulders of ID-53 from Ramsey Road to intersect more directly with US-95.
- Replace the existing deficient ID-53 bridge over the Union Pacific Railroad (UPRR).
- Provide an overpass at Garwood Road over US-95 and the UPRR (eliminate direct access to US-95 at Garwood Road).
- Extend Government Way as an east-side frontage road from ID-53 to the intersection of Garwood and Pope Roads.
- Construct a roundabout at ID-53 and Government Way.
- Extend pedestrian and bicycle facilities.
This project will improve safety while also planning for future growth and mobility in the area. Additionally, eliminating traffic signals on US-95 at ID-53 and Garwood Road will allow for a speed limit increase on US-95 to 70 mph through that section.
The final design is scheduled to be complete by spring 2019, and construction is scheduled to start during summer 2019. The project is estimated to cost $41 million to construct.
Planning for this project started in 2010 with the completion of a study of US-95 between Garwood and Sagle. In 2017, ITD started designing the realignment of ID-53 and the replacement of the bridge over the UPRR. The project scope expanded in mid-2017 to include a new ID-53 interchange, an overpass for Garwood Road and frontage roads when additional funding was secured through the GARVEE Expansion Program.
Members of the public can contact the project team by emailing US95Corridor@itd.idaho.gov or calling (208) 772-1200. For more information and to comment online until August 15, visit itd.idaho.gov/d1, find the projects tab and select “US-95: ID-53 Interchange.”