District 1 – North Idaho
District 1 covers just more than 7,750 square miles of northern Idaho and maintains 1472 lane miles (lanes of road, on- and off-ramps, etc.) and 279 bridges.
Included in the five-county District 1 region is some of the most beautiful country in the Pacific Northwest, as the area is known for its recreational opportunities and for being a major commercial route to both entry ports into Canada. District 1 currently oversees more than 3.5 million vehicle miles traveled daily.
District headquarters is in Coeur d’Alene located in Kootenai County, with Damon L. Allen as district engineer. Jim Thompson, of Sandpoint, represents District 1 on the Idaho Transportation Board.
Damon L. Allen
Highway Construction in North-Central Idaho
For ITD construction projects & map locations go to: itdprojects.org
For current construction & traffic conditions go to: 511.idaho.gov
For more information about projects in planning or design phases go to: itdprojects.org
Learn more about transportation in Idaho by listening to the: Drive Idaho Podcast
*NEW* Check it out: Right-of-Way Online Permit Tool
The Right-of-Way (ROW) permit tool is both a guide and an application for completing different types of ROW permits.
- This tool helps you identify the appropriate type of permit.
- Then the tool steps you through the specific process.
- Within the tool are the digital forms to fill out online which expedites the application process.
- Direct links to traditional ITD PDF forms are in the tool as another option.
- The tool also includes Online Payment Portals for each ITD District Office.
- The Payment Portals are always open 24/7.
- Encroachment information & permitting resources are together in this new online tool location.
Right-of-Way Permit Tool
Remember, you will need to:
- Include all requested plans and details with your completed application form.
- Prepayment is required.
- Include your payment portal receipt with your application.
- Once the completed packet is submitted, allow 30 business days for processing
- After the application is approved, contact ITD Maintenance Foreman at least five days prior to installation for start date approval.
Resources: Encroachment, Utility & Other Permits
This table contains resources for processing requests involving Idaho highway right of way. For additional details or questions, see the “District Submittal” & contacts below.
|Permits Quick Links||Resources|
|• Idaho Parcels|
• Milepoint Logs
• iPlan – Mapping tool for Idaho highway route information
|• IDAPA 39.03.42 - Governing Rules
• Access Management Information
• DIG-Line | 811 - Contacts & rules for safe digging
• ITD Manuals & Guidance - Complete list
District Submittal Locations, Details & Contacts
|Regional Locations||Office Hours||Email Contact & District Right-of-Way Resources||Counties & Specific Contacts|
|North Idaho | District 1|
600 W. Prairie Ave
Coeur d’Alene, ID 83815
|7 a.m. to 4 p.m. |
• District 1 | ROW Permit Quick Reference
• District 1 | ROW Permit FAQs
• District 1 | Traffic Impact Study FAQs
|Counties: Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Kootenai, Shoshone
|North-Central Idaho | District 2|
2600 Frontage Rd | P.O. Box 837
Lewiston, ID 83501
|7 a.m. to 4 p.m. |
• District 2 | ROW Permit Quick Reference
• District 2 | ROW Permit FAQs
• District 2 | Traffic Impact Study FAQs
|Counties: Clearwater, Idaho, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce
Shane Niemela, 208-799-4239
|Southwest Idaho | District 3|
8150 Chinden Blvd
Boise, ID 83714
|8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mountain Time|
Payments are not accepted after 3 p.m.
Payment Phone Line:
208-334-8300, Ext. 2
• District 3 | ROW Permit Quick Reference
• District 3 | ROW Permit FAQs
• District 3 | Traffic Impact Study FAQs
|Counties: Ada, Adams, Boise, Canyon, Elmore, Gem, Owyhee, Payette, Washington, Valley
• Approach & Commercial Permits:
Josh Nopens, 208-332-7190
• Utility, Special Event & Other Encroachment Permits:
Shona Tonkin, 208-334-8341
|South-Central Idaho | District 4|
216 S. Date St
Shoshone, ID 83352
|8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mountain Time||Email: MaryEllen.Russell@itd.idaho.gov|
• District 4 | ROW Permit Quick Reference
• District 4 | ROW Permit FAQs
• District 4 | Traffic Impact Study FAQs
|Counties: Blaine, Camas, Cassia, Gooding, Jerome, Lincoln, Minidoka, Twin Falls
Mary Ellen Russell, 208-886-7839
|Southeast Idaho | District 5|
5151 S. 5th Ave
Pocatello, ID 83205
|8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mountain Time||Email: D5EncroachmentPermits@itd.idaho.gov|
• District 5 | ROW Permit Quick Reference
• District 5 | ROW Permit FAQs
• District 5 | Traffic Impact Study FAQs
|Counties: Bannock, Bear Lake, Bingham, Caribou, Franklin, Oneida, Power
|East Idaho | District 6|
206 N. Yellowstone Ave
Rigby, ID 83442
|8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mountain Time||Email: JR.Grotjohn@itd.idaho.gov|
• District 6 | ROW Permit Quick Reference
• District 6 | ROW Permit FAQs
• District 6 | Traffic Impact Study FAQs
|Counties: Bonneville, Butte, Clark, Custer, Fremont, Jefferson, Lemhi, Teton, Madison
JR Grotjohn, 208-745-5625
Roadway Sign Request Contacts
DMV Ports of Entry, Freight Maps & Trip Permits
For all Motor Carrier Trucking Route Maps in Idaho go to the ITRPS website at:
Then click “Helpful Links” in the top left corner of the banner to access maps & attachments for the following:
- Idaho Maps for Approved Routes Up to 129,000 lbs. (129K)
- 129K State Route Maps (by District/Region)
- County Maps for Special Permit & Requirements
- Vertical Clearance Maps | Pilot/Escort Requirements
- Route Capacity Maps
- Route Capacity Maps (by Color)
Idaho Transportation Department, District 1 Office
Address: 600 West Prairie Avenue, Coeur d’Alene, ID 83815-8764
District 1 Phone Number: 208-772-1200
District 1 Fax: 208-772-1203
District 1 DMV Contact Information with direction
Media Contact: Megan Jahns | Phone: 208-772-1295
Accessibility | Title VI | Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliance
The Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) is committed to compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and all related regulations and directives. ITD assures that no person shall on the grounds of race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any ITD service, program, or activity. The department also assures that every effort will be made to prevent discrimination through the impacts of its programs, policies, and activities on minority and low-income populations. In addition, the department will take reasonable steps to provide meaningful access to services for persons with Limited English Proficiency.
TTY/TDD Users: Dial 711 or (800) 377-3529 to use Idaho Relay System